Monday, March 2, 2009

Festivus for the Rest of Us

For the past couple of years, Ben's dad's side of the family has started to celebrate Festivus. For those of you who are not fans of Seinfeld, here's a link to Wikipedia's definition of Festivus. This year, I made a Festivus cake, but since the holiday does not have certain colors or a theme really, I had to be creative. I thought about what actually happens on Festivus: the airing of grievances, feats of strength, the presence of a steel pole (or the Festivus pole). Then I began to think how I could incorporate those into a cake. Let me tell you, that was difficult.

The cake ended up looking like (or is supposed to look like) a sheet of white paper on which a person has written their grievances. Then I tried to make a Festivus pole. With the help of Ben's mom, we figured out that by wrapping aluminum foil around the cardboard pole-like-thing that comes on a hanger (removing it from the hanger, of course) it would resemble a pole.



The grievances I picked were just general ones: bad grammar/spelling, littering. Also, I found that when writing with icing it's best to keep it to 1-2 words. I believe the cake was yellow cake and cream cheese icing (I feel like I'm starting to sound like a broken record with the cake/icing combination, but people request it, honestly).

Just for kicks, I'm including a picture of Ben's Granddad doing his feat of strength. Pretty amazing, huh?



No comments:

Post a Comment