Monday, March 9, 2009

Spring is in the Air




After spending the past week discussing Christmas, I thought it was time to move forward a few months and focus on the season that is upon us: SPRING! I love spring. I love the colors associated with Spring, the flowers, warm (yet not humid) weather. Pretty much everything except the pollen.

To celebrate the beginning of Spring and a beautiful Little Rock weekend (got up to 80 degrees!) I wanted to bake a cake. But I wanted to do something I had never done before, because variety is important!

I made a lemon flavored cake with cream cheese icing that I gradually added 3-4 drops of yellow food coloring to in order to create a pastel yellow. I made a 9" round cake and an 8" round cake (even though the 8" pan looked more like a 7" pan, which was good, because I wanted it to be different sized layers). After letting the 2 cakes cool on a rack for 45 min-1 hour I put them on a pink plate which was on my rotating cake stand. I iced the top of the 9" cake then centered the 8" cake on top of it and iced the top.



Then I began icing the sides of the cakes. For the tops of the cake I used my large icing spatula and for the sides I used my small icing spatula.



For the larger pearl border, I used Wilton's tip #12 and for the smaller pearl border I used Wilton's tip #5. I decided to to the larger border for the top of the 8" cake and the bottom of the 9" cake around the plate. Then the #5 for the smaller pearls around the base of the 8" cake.



To add that extra Spring touch, I sliced a lemon and arranged it on top of the cake with some bright green leaves from a lemon tree we have in our backyard.



Not the hardest cake to make, but it was a lot of fun. I opted out of using lemon icing, because I thought that might be too much lemon. Ben found that squeezing the lemon juice on the individual slices of cake made it taste even more delicious! Be looking for more Spring goodies later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment