Friday, March 27, 2009

Caramel Icing with Cupcakes


As a treat/thank you for 1,000 blog hits, I decided to try out a new icing recipe - caramel icing. I love caramel! I made golden vanilla cupcakes, something basic so the icing could be the real star of the cupcake!

Ben suggested that I put mini chocolate chip morsels and caramel in some of the cupcakes before I baked them, just to try it out. I put a dallop of caramel in 4 of the cupcakes and sprinkled some chocolate chip morsels on 4. As you can see from the picture of the cupcakes after they baked, the caramel is no longer visible. It sunk into the cupcake while it was baking and this turned out to be delicious! (again, only if you really like caramel, because it is a lot).



This icing was supposed to be butterscotch-caramel, but I only had caramel at home, so I went with that and it turned out really well!

Here's the recipe for the icing:

Caramel Icing
Yields 2 1/4 cups

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup caramel sauce (I used the kind you dip apples in)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
  • 1 - 3 tablespoons milk
Preparation
1. Beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with electric mixer until creamy.

2. Gradually add powdered sugar, alternating with 1 Tbsp. milk, beating at low sleep until blended and smooth. Beat in up to 2. Tbsp. additional milk for desired consistency.


This is a picture of the icing in a glass bowl. It looks like cake mix, so if you wanted to put food coloring in it I think that would work out nicely.



To ice the cupcakes, I wanted to try something different. Rather than just using a small icing spatula, I put the icing in a bag and used tip #5. As I was icing the cupcakes I made a spiral/swirl motion. I liked this idea, because it is something new to try. However, I would suggest that after you make the icing put it in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes, because sometimes it was kind of hard to control at room temperature. Thank you for reading my blog and if you ever have any questions, just ask it in the "Comments" section!

No comments:

Post a Comment