Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Homemade Apple Pie

This is the first homemade pie I have ever made! And I must admit that the anticipation was worse than actually making it. I was so scared I was going to mess up or that it would taste bad. I'm the kind of person that usually takes a pie out of a box and pops it in the oven. Never again! I'm a changed person!

Whenever I embarked on this pie adventure I did not know what I was getting myself into. The dough was definitely the hardest part. Not so much making the dough, but actually putting it in the bottom of the pie dish. As you can see in the below picture, part of the dough tore and I had to patch it with more dough. Totally fine, though, because no one could tell since it was on the bottom!
I used Alton Brown's recipe for the dough. However, his recipe gets too complicated so I stopped following it after leaving the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. After that I just rolled the dough out (using lots of flour) and carefully placed it in the pie dish. Whenever it comes to Alton Brown I am a firm believer that there is no reason for all of those other shenanigans when I can accomplish the same thing in less steps and time.

I used Grandma Ople's Apple Pie recipe for the filling (she's not my Grandma, but she sure knows how to make an apple pie!). The only thing I did differently with this recipe is that I did not pour the sugar and butter mixture over the lattice. I poured it directly on the apples and then covered it. Before I go any further, I wanted to mention the cinnamon. I would only put cinnamon on the apples and in the mixture if you would like. Do not put it on the lattice, because it will appear burned after it bakes (I learned this the hard way from the cinnamon sugar pretzels.)

I know what you're thinking..."a lattice? really? on your first pie?" Believe me, I was scared too. But luckily I found this great video on Allrecipes.com that does step by step instructions on how to make a lattice. Plus after having such a hard time putting the pie crust in the bottom I was actually looking forward to trying something else for the top.

Yes yes, there are some places where I messed up (particularly on the lattice) but I'm already thinking of the next type of pie I should make. Any suggestions? Leave me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment