Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Hostess Aprons

I made a hostess apron over the weekend and I'm not going to lie, I like the way it turned out. I know this is not something you can eat, but it's something you can definitely wear when you are serving all of the tasty things you've made! I got the idea from this and that blog but I made some modifications (aka I did it a different way, because it was easier for me to understand). This is important because I have done very little sewing in my life. The last time I sewed something I was probably 10 or 11 years old and it was a lovely sleeping bag for my beanie babies complete with a pillow and ribbon to roll up the sleeping bag and tie it for traveling purposes, of course. And these were sewn by hand.

This time I decided to go a step further and use a sewing machine and to tell you the truth, the hardest thing about this project was prepping the sewing machine (threading the bobbin was the worst), but after that it was smooth sailing.
What you'll need:
1/2 yard fabric1
1/2 yard fabric2
7x7 scrap fabric3
matching thread

from fabric1 cut a 30" x 13" piece



from fabric2 cut 2 4" wide strips (try to cut these as straight as possible, it will pay off later). if you want to be able to wrap the tie around you twice in order to tie it in the front, then cut 3 4" strips. cut each end of the strips at a 45 degree angle, then sew the ends together. in the below picture you will see how I laid 2 strips and where I would sew along the edge. Once they are sewn together, cut the ends of the strips so they are straight. Lay the connected strips flat and fold about 3/4" down from the top and iron it, then 3/4" up from the bottom and iron it.



On fabric1, fold 1/2" on all sides except the top. Sew the 2 shorter sides and then the 1 longer side, leaving the top "raw". The below picture is of me sewing one of the shorter sides.


Now for the pocket. Take fabric3, your 7x7 piece, and fold 3 of the sides over, iron them flat, then sew them just as you did fabric1 (leaving the top "raw").



Cut a 7" piece from fabric2. For my pocket I cut a 7" x 3" piece of fabric2 and folded half of it down on the front of the pocket and the other half behind the pocket and sewed it down.


Place the pocket about 7 inches from the right or left, depending on where you want the pocket. Now sew the pocket on to fabric1. Make sure you don't sew the top closed!



Now find the middle of fabric1 and the middle of the tie and pin them together. I then folded the tie fabric over the apron, like I did with the pocket, (half of it in front and half of it on the back of apron) and pinned it in place all along the fabric. Then I sewed it to seal it closed.


It was a lot of fabric to manage. And I ended up cutting some off the ends so it wouldn't be so long.


Finished! It looks really good with my orange sweatpants, right?



If you have questions, let me know! I'm sure I forgot a step!

No comments:

Post a Comment