Monday, January 4, 2010

Appetizers with Bacon

Recently, I have noticed an abundance of appetizer recipes using bacon.  (I can already hear all of the "yummms" out there)  I have not always been the biggest fan of bacon.  In fact, for a couple of years I refused to eat it (this is because of a certain movie I watched in French class circa 1999).  But I have overcome my disgust/fear of bacon and fully embraced it as a delicious accompaniment to many recipes. Therefore, I bring you the three best appetizer recipes (according to me) that use bacon:


Bacon-Wrapped Crackers
These delightful treats take a little bit of time to prepare and bake, but are well worth it.



Ingredients:
Club Crackers
Sliced Parmesan Cheese
Thinly Sliced Bacon

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees. Cut bacon into thirds.  (I always have to stretch the bacon out a little so that it will wrap around the cracker.  I tried cutting it in half, but it turned out to be too much bacon on one little club cracker.)  Place a couple of pieces of Parmesan cheese on each cracker and carefully wrap the bacon around the crackers.  Place on a baking sheet and bake for 60-70 minutes.


Bacon-Wrapped Dates with Fontina Cheese
These are the perfect combination of sweet and salty, with a little bit of cheese.


 
Ingredients:
Package of Dates
Small Block of Fontina Cheese
Thinly Sliced Bacon

Directions:
Pre-Heat oven to 250 degrees. Carefully slice the dates open, making sure not to cut it completely into two pieces.  Place a small piece of cheese in the middle of the date.  Cut bacon into thirds and wrap a slice around each date.  Bake for 40-50 minutes depending on your oven.

Cheesy Bacon Dip
I bet you're noticing a theme with these dishes (cheese + bacon = yummy!)


Ingredients:
1/2 low fat mayo (see, I'm trying to be good)
8 oz. of low fat cream cheese
2 finely chopped scallions
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (ok, the "being good" didn't last long)
6 Ritz crackers
1/2 cup of Captain Rodney's Boucan Glaze (found online here or at many gourmet food stores)
8 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix mayo, cream cheese, scallions, and shredded cheddar and spread in the bottom of a small casserole dish. Top with crushed Ritz crackers.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and top with glaze and bacon.  Serve with Ritz crackers.

My friend, Katie, made the bacon-wrapped dates the first time I tried them and made the cheesy bacon dip this past weekend.  She sure knows how to find delicious recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment