Monday, February 16, 2009

How it all got started

Welcome to my blog about decorating the delicious goodies that are cakes, cookies, and cupcakes.

This blog will not so much tell you how to make cake mix, but about how to be creative when decorating for birthdays, holidays, or just for fun.

My decorating hobby (I guess it's a hobby now) all started when my boyfriend, Ben, bought me a rotating cake stand, 2 9" Calphalon cake pans, and one large and one small icing spatula for my birthday last October.

Of course, like all cake decorating beginners, I started out by making a basic cake. It was a 2-layer round cake with icing (yellow cake and chocolate icing - a classic). See pictures below. Both the cake mix and the icing were store bought, because for the time being I have decided to focus on the actual decorating and not really on mastering the perfect homemade cake.




The cake turned out really well (I was very nervous using the cake stand and icing spatulas, because I had little experience using real icing tools).

On a side note, I would like to thank Alex McCulloch for answering my hundreds of questions about setting up a blog and for being the creative genius behind "Cake You Very Much" and "Jstans Bakery". Brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment