Monday, May 4, 2009

Cheesy Squash Casserole




This yummy recipe is from one of my favorite TV cooks, Paula Dean. I made this dish over the weekend and will definitely make it many more times. The only things I would do differently is 1) cook it longer than 20 minutes. I think next time I'll shoot for 25-30, because I do not think casseroles should be runny at all. I like clumpy casseroles (sounds good, right?). I think another way to prevent soupy casseroles is to make sure the ingredients are not too wet when they are mixed together. In my case, I should have drained the squash and onions before I added it to the cheese mixture. And 2) I will not, under any circumstance, put aluminum foil on top of the casserole after it has cooked. I did this in order to keep it warm, and instead it made the cracker crumbs too mushy (not appetizing). Other than those 2 things, the casserole tasted so good!

Cheesy Squash Casserole
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 6 medium sized yellow squash, thinly sliced
  • 1 large Vidalia onion, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 sleeve crackers, crushed medium to fine - I used Ritz crackers
Directions
1. pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and grease 2-quart casserole dish.
2. heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute squash, onion, and butter until soft. Transfer to a bowl (this is where I would drain the squash and onions). Stir Parmesan, sour cream, and cheddar.
3. pour in the casserole dish and sprinkle cracker crumbs evenly over the top.
4. bake for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden and bubbly.



The below picture is of the casserole half covered in crackers, just to let you see what it looks like.



No comments:

Post a Comment